Intro – United Credit Union Reviews & Ranking
United Credit Union was recently ranked and reviewed by AdvisoryHQ as a top rated credit union. Firms on our top rated lists were selected after they successfully passed AdvisoryHQ’s groundbreaking, four-step banks and credit unions selection methodology.
Click here for a step-by-step breakdown of the methodology and selection process used during our United Credit Union review: AdvisoryHQ’s Methodology for Selecting Top Banks and Credit Unions.
The review below provides a detailed assessment, including some of the factors used by AdvisoryHQ News in its ranking and selection of United Credit Union.
United Credit Union Review
United Credit Union was created by a small group of teachers from Chicago’s Calumet High School in 1930. The goal was to create a financial co-op that would provide other teachers and their families with better options of how to save money as well as obtain loans with reasonable interest rates.
Image Source: United Credit Union
Key Factors Leading Us to Rank This Firm as One of This Year’s Top Credit Union Firms
Upon completing our detailed reviews, United Credit Union was included in AdvisoryHQ’s ranking of this year’s best credit unions based on the following factors.
United Credit Union Review: Insurance and Protections
Money deposited at United Credit Union is insured by the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund. This complimentary insurance program includes $250,000 for all credit union members’ individual accounts, including regular shares, checking, share certificates, and money market accounts, among others. This protection is provided by the National Credit Union Administration which is part of the U.S. government.
Also provided to members is Excess Share Insurance, which insures excess Share Savings and traditional IRA or Roth IRA savings’ totals up to a maximum of $250,000. That brings the total funds insurance for members of United Credit Union to $500,000.
United Credit Union Review: MasterCard Debit Card
When you open certain accounts with United Credit Union, you can qualify for a MasterCard debit card. This card is a convenient way to access funds from your checking account, and it can be used in more than 14 million locations throughout the world.
The debit card is eligible for the MasterCard Secure Code service, which is free and provides extensive security against fraudulent usage of cards for online purchases and transactions. It’s just one more layer of security when buying online.
This debit card can also be used alongside the UChoose Rewards program, which provides members with rewards points simply for making everyday purchases.
United Credit Union Review: United Credit Union Partners
Through extensive partnerships, United Credit Union can provide even more robust services and offerings for members. Some of these partnerships include the following:
- Harland Clarke: A company that provides merchant and integrated payment solutions as well as marketing
- VALIC: VALIC is one of the country’s top financial management firms offering retirement advice and personalized solutions
- Enterprise Car Sales: This partnership helps members of United buy autos without haggling
- CarQuotes.com is a search engine that helps consumers know what a car is worth before they visit a dealership
- TruStage Insurance Agency: TruStage Insurance is an affordable insurance coverage option designed specifically for members of credit unions
United Credit Union Review: Lending Programs
Member-borrowers can take advantage of a range of competitive loan products from United Credit Union. Regardless what loan a member is using, United makes the following pledge:
- When members qualify, loans will be made for worthwhile and productive needs
- Rates are not just competitively priced but also geared toward the consumer, with flexible terms
- Phone lending is available for most loans
- You can receive pre-approval before making any auto purchase
- Payments can be made in a number of ways, including payroll deduction, direct deposit, ACH or automatic transfers
- Payments can be set up with due dates that are weekly, monthly, bi-weekly or semi-monthly
- A personal financial representative can guide members and answer any questions they may have
In addition to reviewing the above United Credit Union review, you can click on any of the links below to browse exclusive reviews of AdvisoryHQ’s top credit unions:
AdvisoryHQ (AHQ) Disclaimer:
Reasonable efforts have been made by AdvisoryHQ to present accurate information, however all info is presented without warranty. Review AdvisoryHQ’s Terms for details. Also review each firm’s site for the most updated data, rates and info.
Note: Firms and products, including the one(s) reviewed above, may be AdvisoryHQ's affiliates. Click to view AdvisoryHQ's advertiser disclosures.