Everything You Need to Know About Women’s Car Insurance to Save Money
When it comes to car insurance, most people want the best coverage for the lowest cost. Let’s take a look at what that means specifically with car insurance for women.
This will be your guide to understanding what sets women’s car insurance apart, as well as how to find and get the cheapest car insurance for ladies.
We will help you understand cheap car insurance for women by:
- Explaining the difference between car insurance for women and men
- Showing how age, specifically finding car insurance for young female drivers, plays a large role in cost
- Offering helpful tips for finding cheap car insurance for ladies
Follow this guide to enjoy the benefits of top auto insurance for women with great coverage at a good price this year.
Is Car Insurance for Women Different Than Car Insurance for Men?
Why are we even talking about car insurance for women specifically? Is there any difference in insurance for women at all? There is!
Car insurance for ladies is not cheaper simply because they are women; car insurance for ladies is cheaper strictly based on behavior.
Image Source: Pixabay
Below, we will talk about studies showing women are safer drivers than men (especially teen girls looking for car insurance for young female drivers vs. teen boys). This means women are a safer bet for car insurance companies.
Since women are a safer bet, companies have a lower chance of needing to pay out. This makes auto insurance for women cheaper.
States That Offer Cheaper Car Insurance for Ladies
Before we talk about these differences in driving habits, it is important to note that in three states, car insurance for ladies or men is not allowed to be affected by gender.
- North Carolina
If you are in one of these states, the eight tips below for finding the best cheap insurance for women will still apply, so you can scroll down to those. For everyone else, let’s talk about why women’s car insurance is often much cheaper.
All-in-One Change Management Tools
Top Rated Toolkit for Change Managers.
Get Your Change Management Tool Today...
Car Insurance For Women 101: Why You May Pay Less
Here are a few behaviors that lead to cheap car insurance for women:
- Women get in fewer car accidents
- Women receive fewer DUIs
- Women are less likely to drink and drive
- Women receive fewer speeding tickets
- Women are involved in fewer accident-related deaths
- Women tend to wear seatbelts more often
- Women often choose cars that cost less to insure
- Women are less likely to drive with too many passengers
Car Insurance For Women 101: Why You May Pay More
There are plenty of reasons that make car insurance for ladies cheaper, but there are still things that can raise rates on insurance for women:
- Studies have shown that out of six top insurance companies, five regularly charge more for car insurance for women if the consumer has never been married or if she is separated/divorced.
- Women tend to have more parking violations. However, this is considered much less of a risk for women’s car insurance than moving violations, which is a male-led problem.
- If you get into accidents, your women’s car insurance rates will go up just as much as men’s rates will.
Car Insurance for Women 101: The Age Factor
Age plays a large part in costs of auto insurance for women vs. men. In fact, the biggest price differences come under the age of 26. After this point, the playing field tends to level off.
As you will see below, car insurance for girls in their teenage years is the most expensive, but it is still considerably cheaper than car insurance for teen boys.
Here are a few stats on how age affects women when it comes to purchasing women’s car insurance throughout their lives:
- Car insurance for girls in their teens is undoubtedly the highest. Between the ages of 21 and 25, car insurance for young female drivers starts dropping by around 24%.
- Once you hit 55, your rates will most likely be at their lowest for one decade.
- Then at 65, those rates tend to start climbing again for women’s car insurance.
How to Get Cheaper Car Insurance for Ladies
Now that we have a better understanding of what car insurance for girls and women looks like versus boys and men, let’s focus on how to get cheap car insurance for women.
We know women can already benefit from lower prices, but that does not mean they should not still put some time and energy into getting the very best car insurance for ladies at the best price.
Below, we have eight ways to drop the cost on women’s car insurance.
While many of these methods can be used for men and women, we will add any female-specific information you may need to know before buying insurance for women.
One of the very best ways to find cheap car insurance for ladies is to shop around for the very best price.
Call different auto insurance companies – from the major to small – to see what sort of prices they charge for car insurance for young female drivers and older female drivers.
Do not ever settle for the first quote or two you receive when looking for car insurance for ladies. Make sure you always get the best price for the coverage you need.
Pay Attention to Discount Opportunities
Many times, you can get better priced car insurance for ladies if you take the time to learn about and ask for discount opportunities.
While all car insurance carriers will have their own discounts, here are some common ones you should ask about when purchasing women’s car insurance:
- Do you need home insurance? Check to see if there is a bundle deal.
- Do you serve in the military? Most insurance companies will offer a discount.
- Are you a student? Some car insurance for young female drivers offer a good student discount.
- Are you insuring multiple cars? Look into multi-car insurance discounts.
- Are you willing to take a defensive driver course? Taking these local courses can save you.
Boost Your Credit Score
The next way to get cheap insurance for women is to improve your credit. Most states take your credit score into account when giving you auto insurance quotes. One way to help get cheaper women’s car insurance is to raise your credit score.
Image Source: Pixabay
Here are a few tips that can help you do just that so you can benefit from cheap car insurance for ladies:
- Pay down your debt
- Make it a priority to pay every bill on time
- Check your credit report to see if there are any errors, and report those you find
- Keep your credit cards open, but do not add more debt
Choose the Right Car
The car you choose will greatly affect the cost of car insurance for women. The more “unsafe” the car is, or the more likely people are to drive recklessly in a type of car, the higher the monthly premiums.
Safer, family cars like SUVs tend to be lowest, while sports cars tend to be highest. If you want car insurance for ladies, choose your car wisely. Here are two lists to consider when choosing a car for cheap insurance for women.
Forbes offered a list of the cheapest cars in 2016 to insure, ranging from an annual average of $1,113 to $1,204. They include:
- Honda Odyssey LX
- Honda CR-V LX
- Dodge Grand Caravan
- Jeep Patriot Sport 2WD
- Jeep Wrangler Sport
- Jeep Compass Sport 2WD
- Ford Escape S 2WD
- Buick Encore Sport Tour 2WD
- Jeep Cherokee Base 2WD
- Nissan Frontier S King Cab
Forbes also offered a list of the most expensive cars in 2016 to insure, ranging from an annual average of $3,212 to $4,048. They include:
- Dodge Viper GT
- Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG
- Mercedes-Benz S600
- Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG 4Matic
- Porsche Panamera S Executive
- Nissan GT-R Nismo
- BMW M6 Gran Coupe
- Land Rover Range Rover SV Autobiography Black LWB
- Audie RS7 Quattro Prestige
- Porsche 911 Carrera GT3 RS
Avoid Small Claims
The next way to encourage cheap car insurance for ladies is to avoid claiming small accidents and pay for them out of pocket.
When you have no claims on your auto insurance for women over a certain number of years, often three to five, many insurance companies will lower your rates.
Compare the cost of that one-time fee with the cost of a heightened monthly premium each month. You may see that the cheaper women’s car insurance is to pay out of pocket.
Choose a Higher Deductible
Just like all other forms of insurance, a higher deductible means a lower monthly premium. And a lower monthly premium equals the best prices on women’s car insurance.
If you never get into an accident, you will have saved significant money on your car insurance for women.
Of course, this is somewhat of a gamble. If you do get into a car accident, you will need to pay much more out of pocket.
This option for cheap car insurance for ladies, then, is better for those who always have enough in their savings to cover the high deductible at all times.
See If There Are Any Group Options
Checking to see if any group options are available is another way to make your car insurance for ladies cheaper.
Sometimes employers or community groups will offer a group auto insurance plan. Since such a large number of people are signing up together, the company will offer a discount.
If you simply switch over to their group, you can save on women’s car insurance without much effort at all.
Drive to Stay Accident Free
The final way to get cheap car insurance for women is to simply drive safely. Nobody gets into a car trying to get into an accident. But some people are more aware of the real consequences of their choices.
If you practice safe driving habits every day, you are decreasing the chance of hurting yourself or somebody else in an accident and you are letting the rates of car insurance for women drop.
Nationwide shares common sense tips for safe driving. Here are important reminders for those who want to keep their car insurance for women cheap:
- Avoid using your phone or other devices
- Do not speed
- Stay aware of the other drivers around you
- Make sure there is a 2-second cushion between you and the car ahead of you (4 in bad weather)
- Keep children and items securely fastened so they do not distract you
- Do not drive if you are tired or taking certain medications
Conclusion: Get Cheaper Car Insurance for Ladies
Now you understand what women’s car insurance means for your car’s coverage and cost. Use this knowledge to make sure you get top car insurance for ladies that will not break the bank.
Whether you are a teen looking for car insurance for girls or you have had car insurance for many years and are hoping to cut costs, go through each step above to make sure you are setting yourself up for success in finding cheap insurance for women.
AdvisoryHQ (AHQ) Disclaimer:
Reasonable efforts have been made by AdvisoryHQ to present accurate information, however all info is presented without warranty. Review AdvisoryHQ’s Terms for details. Also review each firm’s site for the most updated data, rates and info.
Note: Firms and products, including the one(s) reviewed above, may be AdvisoryHQ's affiliates. Click to view AdvisoryHQ's advertiser disclosures.