Intro: Finding the Best New York Law Schools
For those who want to go to law school, a New York law school is often high on the dream list. With New York City considered the top spot in the country for law professionals, it is no surprise that students flock to New York City law schools as well as nearby law schools in New York state.
With many New York law schools available and quite a few New York City law schools specifically, it can seem like a daunting task to narrow down a list on which to apply for. So, how does one go about finding the top law schools in New York?
This article will be your comprehensive guide on the best resources for law schools in New York.
Finding the Best New York Law Schools
First, we will offer a list of law schools in New York, followed by online tools and rankings to help you find the best law schools in New York. Then, we will take a closer look at New York law school ratings and decide between law schools in New York City vs. the rest of the state.
New York Law School List
Before you begin your in-depth research on the best law schools in New York, it is important to realize what New York law schools are available to you.
The American Bar Association (ABA) is in charge of accrediting law schools. Once given the ABA’s seal of approval, graduated students are allowed to take the bar exam.
All of the best law schools in New York – or anywhere in the country – will be accredited by the ABA.
This is the list of law schools in New York that you can use to do your research, all of which have been approved by the ABA. There are fifteen in total, and five are specifically New York City law schools.
List of Law Schools in New York
- Albany Law School of Union University
- Brooklyn Law School
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University
- City University of New York School of Law
- Columbia Law School
- Cornell Law School
- Fordham University School of Law
- Hofstra University – Maurice A. Deane School of Law Hempstead
- New York Law School
- New York University School of Law
- Pace University School of Law
- St. John’s University School of Law
- SUNY Buffalo Law School
- Syracuse University College of Law
- Touro College – Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center
How to Find the Best Law Schools in New York
Now you know where you could go to law school, so it is time to figure out where you should go. The process of researching all these law schools in New York is made easy through particular online resources.
We have compiled not only the most complete and detailed resources about law colleges in New York but also those that are the easiest to use.
SmartClass will be your best friend in discovering the top law schools in New York. Here is how it works: you type in the state of your choice – in this case, New York – and SmartClass offers you each New York law school in ranked order. You can even narrow your search down to law schools in New York City.
Immediately, you will see four important factors displayed for each New York law school:
- Smart Rank Number: This is one of the many New York law school rankings systems. Smart Class takes into account various other rankings as well as additional statistics and data to make this decision.
- Acceptance Rate: This is the New York law school admissions percentage of students who apply.
- Median LSAT: This is the average LSAT of the students in each of these law schools in New York.
- Median UGPA: This is the average undergraduate grade point average of all the students in that New York law school.
The helpful color-coded system shows you the best law schools in New York in a quick glance. The schools with the best of the above four factors will have their numbers displayed in green. The average New York law schools will be displayed in yellow, and the worst are in red.
All-in-One Change Management Tools
Top Rated Toolkit for Change Managers.
Get Your Change Management Tool Today...
Going Further with SmartClass’s Comparisons
That basic information that SmartClass provides is already valuable, but it goes even more in depth with those law schools in New York that you are considering. Simply check mark all the top law schools in New York that you want to learn more about, and hit the “compare now” button.
You will be given a comprehensive, side-by-side glance of all the important details you will need to do your research. For each of the law schools in New York, you can see the following and even more:
- All rankings through various organizations
- Historical New York law school rankings
- New York law school admissions statistics
- Historical acceptance rates
- Percent yield (those who receive offers and then accept)
- Historical LSAT scores
- Historical UGPA scores
- In-state tuition cost
- Out-of-state tuition cost
- Percent of students receiving grants
- Grant types offered
- Student body number
- Full-time faculty
- Percent of women enrolled
- Bar pass rates
- Employment rates after graduation
- Most common industry after graduation
Another great feature is that you can compare a few of your top New York law school choices with any other law school in the nation, like Stanford or Yale. This is the easiest way to get the largest amount of information on law colleges in New York and throughout the United States.
U.S. News plays an important role in offering not only New York law school rankings but rankings for all law schools throughout the United States. The New York law schools that make it on the U.S. News list are sure to be the best law schools in New York.
Image Source: New York Law Schools
On the 2017 list, U.S. News’s top 25 best law schools include three New York law schools. Of course, more appear further down the list as well, still making them some of the top law schools in New York.
U.S. News offers comprehensive information on each of these law schools if you purchase its membership, the Law School Compass Access, for $29.95. This includes information on:
- LSAT scores
- Expanded profiles of each school
- Student indebtedness
- Career and salary statistics
- Advanced search options
For those serious about finding the best law schools in New York, purchasing this year-long membership from U.S. News could be a great idea and helpful resource.
As a business publication with great influence in the professional world, it is no doubt that Business Insider takes time to rank what it considers to be the top 50 law schools in the country. Each year, law schools in New York and specifically law schools in New York City make the list.
The recent Business Insider list of the top 50 law schools in the country offers four New York law schools on the list. Three of those top law schools in New York happen to be in the top 10, ranking No. 5, No. 7, and No. 8. Of the schools that made it on the list, three are New York City law schools in particular.
While this is not the most comprehensive overview of information for each of the law schools in New York, it does give you a great idea of how the professional world currently views New York law schools. You can find three helpful pieces of information on the list which include:
- The percentage of graduates with “highly coveted positions”
- The bar passage rate
- The median LSAT score
Other Important New York Law School Rankings
There is not one standard for all law school rankings. To get a well-rounded understanding of which schools are the best law schools in New York, it is important to take a look at many different organizations’ law school ranking systems.
- Above The Law: Above The Law posts yearly ranking systems that are highly respected and considered a valuable concept of how well a law school is doing. Make sure to check out which of the top law schools in New York make the cut this year. You will also see if they have improved, declined or remained the same since the previous year.
- National Law Journal: This publication offers its own New York law school rankings as well, but you do have to subscribe to National Law Journal to see the results. This is a good subscription for anybody interested in the legal field anyway, so it could be a good option to consider.
- Vault: Vault is one more law school ranking system that is considered valuable. Currently, it has a New York law school that sits at No. 4 on its list. See its complete list to learn more.
Other Resources for Law Schools in New York
To round off your research on the top law schools in New York, here are two additional articles with lists to take into consideration.
- Patino Law School: Here, you will find a list of law schools in New York and law schools in New York City that are considered the best by Patino. You will also find information on New York law school admissions rates for each school and the cost of full-time tuition.
- Forbes: In 2015, Forbes released its list of “Best law schools for career prospects 2016.” Several law colleges in New York were included on the list. It is a great tool to help see which schools are landing graduate jobs.
New York State or New York City?
Where exactly you want to be located plays a huge factor in which New York law school you will choose. Choosing certain New York law schools can have a large impact on your cost of living for the next few years – especially if you are considering New York City law schools.
Just because it may be one of the top law schools in New York does not mean it will be located in one of your top choices for a city to live in.
Each of the cities below contains one or more of the law schools in New York. Click on the links to understand more about the livability in each area. Remember, you will not just be learning legal education here – you will be making this area your home for a few years.
Which New York Law School Is Right for You?
Now that you have the tools necessary to find the best law schools in New York, it is time to begin your research. A step-by-step method for tackling your research is to:
- Look through each of the websites for information on law schools in New York. This will give you an idea of what they offer and their mission.
- Run a side-by-side comparison of your top law schools in New York through SmartClass to see the pros and cons for each.
- Read through each article and take all New York law school rankings into consideration.
Utilize the above resources to find not only the best law schools in New York or law schools in New York City but to also find the perfect New York law school for your dreams and goals.
AdvisoryHQ (AHQ) Disclaimer:
Reasonable efforts have been made by AdvisoryHQ to present accurate information, however all info is presented without warranty. Review AdvisoryHQ’s Terms for details. Also review each firm’s site for the most updated data, rates and info.
Note: Firms and products, including the one(s) reviewed above, may be AdvisoryHQ's affiliates. Click to view AdvisoryHQ's advertiser disclosures.