Learn How Blogging for Money Could Become Your Reality Today
The blogosphere has exploded over the past few years. It is assumed there are over 1 million blog posts written each and every day. Many people write for the joy of it, but many people make money by blogging.
Interested in learning how blogs make money? Wondering if you can make money with a blog this year? You are in the right spot – we are teaching money-making blogging for beginners.
In this year’s guide to blogging for money, we will tell you:
- How much you can expect to earn from blogging for money
- Four ways to make money with a blog that money making blogs use to bring in income
- Two tips you need to understand before you can earn money by blogging
This article is an ideal guide on “Making Money Blogging for Beginners.”
How Much Can You Earn Blogging for Money
So, what income should you realistically expect if you make money by blogging?
It truly depends on your readers. ProBlogger did a survey on blogging for money, and here is what the bloggers shared:
- 10% made no money each month
- 28% made under $10 a month
- 25% made between $10 and $99 a month
- 17% made between $100 and $499 a month
- 7% made between $500 $999 a month
- 9% made between $1.000 to $9,999 a month
- 4% made over $10,000 a month
How to Make Money with a Blog?
If you get a few hundred views a month, you will not have enough traffic to earn money by blogging other than small amounts, say $10 to $100 a month.
Blogs that make money tend to have thousands – even millions – of readers. This is enough people to really make the four methods to make money with a blog below bring in real income.
So here is what you should know about blogging for money:
- If you simply enjoy blogging and want to make a few extra dollars to support the hobby, you do not need to focus on growing your audience to huge numbers
- If you want to be one of the serious money-making blogs, you will need to have plenty of readers to do so
Ways to Make Money with a Blog
Want to know how blogs make money in real life? We have the top four methods of blogging for money:
- Affiliate advertising
- Sponsorship posts
- Ad space
- Sell your product
Many of these ways you can earn money by blogging may seem confusing to a blogging newbie. We will go into them in detail, so you can decide if they work for your blog.
All-in-One Change Management Tools
Top Rated Toolkit for Change Managers.
Get Your Change Management Tool Today...
1. Affiliate Advertising
One of the best ways to make money with a blog is affiliate marketing. This is how it works:
- On your blog, you talk about a product you genuinely love and recommend
- You link that product to an “affiliate” link
- If your reader clicks on that link and buys the product, you get a small commission
One of the most popular ways to earn money by blogging with affiliates is through Amazon Associates. Consider this the “Affiliate Blogging for Beginners.”
Simply create an account through Amazon Associates. Then, whenever you suggest or recommend a product, create a special link through Amazon Associates. That link will track how many people click on your recommendation and then buy it.
The more your readers buy, the higher the percentage of commission Amazon will give you. You can see how this adds up quickly for money-making blogs.
More sales = more commission + more sales = higher commission
You will see many blogs that make money using this method – as well as different affiliate programs, including:
2. Sponsorship Posts
The next common way to make money with a blog comes through sponsorship.
Sponsorship posts are when people or companies will pay you to talk about their product. (They also may pay you simply to post their verbiage about their own product, too.)
Blogging for money through sponsorship posts works like this:
- Your audience may be the same as some other company’s audience (Example: You blog about your adventures as a new, young mom. A baby food company has the same target audience.).
- The company sees your readers are interested in what you have to say, so the company pays you to write a blog post (or an Instagram/Facebook post) about their product.
- That company gets advertising, you earn money by blogging, and you have more great content to give your readers.
If you make money by blogging in this way, the key is to be picky about which companies you allow to sponsor you. You do not want to turn your blog into one big sales pitch by doing one sponsored post after another.
But when you really believe in a product (or service) and want to share it with your readers, you may as well earn money by blogging about it.
This may not be the top blogging for beginners tip, however, because most companies want to see that you have a huge following before offering sponsorship. But, with time and effort, these opportunities can open up for you.
3. Ad Space
The next method to make money with a blog is selling ad space. This way of blogging for money could bring in anywhere from a few bucks to thousands of dollars (depending upon how many clicks the ad will get).
Blogging for Money
Your blog is a prime spot for advertisements. You can place ads on the side of your blog and in your blog posts. This is how you can make money with a blog through ads:
- Option 1: Sign up for a pay-for-click service. Each time somebody clicks on the ad, you get a small amount of money. A common option for this is Google AdSense.
- Option 2: Sell a spot for smaller companies to host their logo or advertisement banner for a specified amount of time. Example: you charge a company $100 to put their logo at the bottom of your posts for a month.
Blogging for money this way is less about creating content and more about offering space. It can take significantly less time than the other ways to earn money by blogging.
4. Sell Your Product
Now we get into the most lucrative way to make money with a blog. This is how blogs make money for real.
The truth is that most people blogging for money – lots of money – do not make money with a blog only. They use their blog as a vehicle to sell products, services, or courses.
This is how blogs that make money try to sell their products:
- Your blog has built an audience based off of your topic or niche (Examples: Healthy living, crafting, etc.)
- That audiences is obviously already interested in learning about what you tell them
- You can create “premium” content that you do not offer for free on your blog and sell it to your interested audience
Here’s an example of how blogs make money this way.
Say you run a blog about meditation. You write content about meditating (why it’s important, how to create a meditation space, the science behind meditation, etc.) Your readers are obviously interest in incorporating meditation into their own lives.
You may professionally record a series of five guided meditations your readers can purchase for $10. Then, you use your already-great meditation content to help promote and advertise this product and make money by blogging.
You can sell countless things this way as you are blogging for money:
- Services (examples: copywriting, life coaching, online tutoring, etc.)
- Lesson plans
Blogging for Money: The #1 Tip You Need to Know
Understanding and setting up all these ways to make money with a blog won’t actually earn you any income without one necessary factor: an audience.
- You can throw up affiliate links and products/courses for people to buy – but if nobody is coming to your blog, nobody is going to click.
- You can ask companies to pay for sponsorship posts or ad space – but if nobody is coming to your blog, nobody will want to pay you.
Blogs that make money have a dedicated following of people who read their posts. This following also trusts the blogger’s opinion. So when the blogger recommends a product (set up as affiliate marketing, for example), people are going to buy.
This means that if you want to be one of the money-making blogs, you need to do the following:
- Create and provide interesting, creative content that people want to read and look at
- Focus on topics you are interested in; your excitement will shine through and you will be more knowledgeable
- Be honest with your experiences so people trust you when you recommend something; if they think you are only a salesperson, you will struggle to earn money by blogging
Blogging for Money: The #2 Tip You Need to Know
Now that you know the way to make money with a blog is to build a dedicated following by offering great content, we have one more important tip for you to make money by blogging.
In order to become one of the blogs that make money, you will need multiple streams of income. This means you should not only pick sponsored posts or only pick ad space as your source of revenue.
Of course, if blogging for money is only a side gig, you may be fine with one income stream you do not have to put much effort into.
But if you want to make a real living as you make money with a blog, you will have to engage all of these methods for money-making blogs, which is why blogs that make money are often full-time jobs for the bloggers.
Popular Article: Top Stock Portfolio Management Websites and Apps
Conclusion – Make Money with a Blog You Love
Now that you understand how blogs that make money bring in income, you can make money with a blog of your own.
Remember to write about what you love. You will enjoy it more, and your readers will enjoy it more.
Then, take advantage of these four ways to make money with a blog in the most natural ways possible. Don’t let yourself sound like a salesperson. Sound like a cool, interesting, knowledgeable friend who really wants to make your readers’ lives better.
Before you know it, this year could be the year that you start blogging for money.
AdvisoryHQ (AHQ) Disclaimer:
Reasonable efforts have been made by AdvisoryHQ to present accurate information, however all info is presented without warranty. Review AdvisoryHQ’s Terms for details. Also review each firm’s site for the most updated data, rates and info.
Note: Firms and products, including the one(s) reviewed above, may be AdvisoryHQ's affiliates. Click to view AdvisoryHQ's advertiser disclosures.