Intro – Houston Police Federal Credit Union Reviews & Ranking
AdvisoryHQ recently published its list and review of the top credit unions in Houston, Texas, a list that included Houston Police Federal Credit Union.
Below we have highlighted some of the many reasons Houston Police Federal Credit Union was selected as one of the best credit unions in Houston, Texas.
Click here for a detailed review of AdvisoryHQ’s selection methodology: AdvisoryHQ’s Methodology for Selecting Top Banks and Credit Unions.
Houston Police Federal Credit Union Review
Founded in 1937, the Houston Police Federal Credit Union was founded as a financial cooperative owned and operated by the local police force. Since that time, this Houston credit union has grown to a membership over 29,000 and assets of more than $751 million.
This top credit union in Houston, TX has three branch locations, all in Houston, and members have access to more than 55,000 fee-free Allpoint ATMs.
Membership is limited to active or retired Houston police officers, active or retired Houston police department civilian employees, surviving spouses, or family members of a member
Key Factors Leading Us to Rank Houston Police FCU as One of This Year’s Top Credit Union Firms
Houston Police Federal Credit Union Review: Savings Accounts
Houston Police Federal Credit Union offers an array of varied savings accounts to select from based on your needs and goals. All accounts at this Houston credit union are federally insured up to at least $250,000 by the National Credit Union Administration.
Savings accounts available to choose from are:
- Primary Savings
- Dependent Savings
- Lil Star Savings
- Teen Savings
- Silver Star Savings
- Secondary Savings
Best Credit Unions in Houston, TX
The Lil Star account is perfect for kids 12 and under and offers a great way to teach children the importance of saving money.
The Lil Star account can be opened for as a little as $5 and will earn dividends based upon a tiered structure, compounded daily and paid each month.
There is no minimum balance requirement with the Lil Star account or the Primary, Dependent, or Teen savings accounts.
See Also: JSC Federal Credit Union Review
Houston Police Federal Credit Union Review: Checking Accounts
You have four different checking account options as a member of this top Houston, TX credit union. The options that members can choose from are:
- Economy Checking: If you’re looking for a basic and inexpensive checking account, this one keeps it simple. There is just a $25 minimum opening deposit, no minimum balance requirements and no service fee.
- Dividend Checking: Want to earn money on your checking account? Dividend Checking pays you dividends when a $500 daily balance is maintained. There is no monthly service fee and you can open an account with just $25.
- Silver Star Checking: Seniors can take advantage of an HPCU checking account just for them. This account earns dividends when a $500 daily balance is maintained and includes perks like a complimentary box of checks and discounts on checks, money orders, and safe deposit boxes.
- Estate Checking: This account is designed to help family members pay for a loved one’s final expenses. It also earns dividends when there is a daily balance of $500 maintained and there is no service fee or minimum balance requirement.
Don’t Miss: Best Credit Unions in Fort Worth, Texas
Houston Police Federal Credit Union Review: Overdraft Protection
If a mistake occurs and a transaction overdraws a member’s account, this Houston credit union will cover the transaction if that member has set up overdraft protection. Members can choose from a few account overdraft protection programs:
Check Sentry Courtesy Pay Protection
Members can opt in to this program which allows the credit union to cover transactions that would normally overdraw your account, up to a $750 limit.
Payments are made at Houston Police Federal’s discretion. There is no monthly service fee to enroll in the program, so there is no charge if you don’t use it.
Account holders will be charged a $20 per overdrawn transaction. Additional fees may apply.
Linked Savings Accounts
Savings accounts or line of credits may also be linked to a checking account to cover overdraft transactions. These options cost less than the Check Sentry Courtesy Pay Protection program. The per transaction fee is $4.00, and if your account is overdrawn, HPCU will transfer the money from your linked account to your checking account.
Inquire with Houston Police Federal to learn about all the fees, benefits, and conditions.
Related: All About Texas Bay Credit Union
Houston Police Federal Credit Union offers a wide range of comprehensive services, including attractive, dividend earning checking accounts with no service fee. They also offer insurance products for auto, property, and life.
This is one of the top credit unions in Houston to consider if you’re within their membership eligibility criteria. Due to the limited nature of their membership, we’ve scored HPCU with 4-stars as a top-ranked Houston credit union.
In addition to reviewing the above Houston Police Federal Credit Union review, you can click on any of the links below to browse exclusive reviews of AdvisoryHQ’s top rated banking & credit union firms:
- BP Federal Credit Union
- Cy-Fair Federal Credit Union
- First Community Credit Union
- First Service Credit Union
- Harris County Federal Credit Union
- Houston Police Federal Credit Union
- Houston Texas Fire Fighters
- JSC Federal Credit Union
- Members Choice Credit Union
- Memorial Credit Union
- People’s Trust Federal Credit Union
- Primeway Federal Credit Union
- Smart Financial Credit Union
- Texas Bay Credit Union
AdvisoryHQ (AHQ) Disclaimer:
Reasonable efforts have been made by AdvisoryHQ to present accurate information, however all info is presented without warranty. Review AdvisoryHQ’s Terms for details. Also review each firm’s site for the most updated data, rates and info.
Note: Firms and products, including the one(s) reviewed above, may be AdvisoryHQ's affiliates. Click to view AdvisoryHQ's advertiser disclosures.