2017 RANKING & REVIEWS
BEST 0 BALANCE TRANSFER CREDIT CARDS
Why Is Finding the Best 0 Balance Transfer Credit Cards Important?
Simply put, finding 0 balance transfer credit cards can be extremely important for those who want to save a little money on high interest rates.
Credit card debt can quickly stack up, and high interest rates certainly don’t help. Using a 0 interest balance transfer card can keep credit card debt both manageable and affordable.
Award Emblem: Top 6 Best Zero Balance Transfer Credit Cards
0 balance transfer cards allow for debt from one credit card—or multiple credit cards—to be transferred to a new card with a 0 credit card balance transfer fee. Utilizing 0 balance transfer offers can have great benefits for keeping credit card debt at minimum levels.
Most credit cards will charge a little extra for the ability to transfer a credit card balance. The average credit card balance transfer fee is 3%, meaning transferring a balance of $10,000 tacks on an additional $300.
0 balance transfer credit cards, however, will allow for a 0 balance transfer fee, resulting in the highest possible savings.
The importance of 0 transfer fee credit cards lies in their value: they save money on debt. Eliminating high interest rate balances is a crucial step in eliminating overall credit card debt.
What You Should Know Before Using 0 Balance Transfer Credit Cards
There are many different 0 balance transfer offers available on the market today. With that said, it’s important to keep in mind that 0 balance transfer credit card offers may differ slightly from one card to the next.
When looking for the best 0 balance transfer cards, there are a few things to consider. Keep the following in mind:
- Don’t forget that transferring is not repaying. Using 0 balance transfer credit cards doesn’t erase debt; it simply makes debt more manageable by moving it from one place to another.
- 0 balance transfer cards can make payments much simpler by combining multiple debts. Moving debt to 0 transfer fee credit cards can not only save money, but it can make organizing payments easier.
- Additional debts may be transferred. Depending upon the issuer, 0 balance transfer offers may apply to other debts too, like loans for cars, appliances, furniture or other monthly installment payments.
- Rates will expire. Even the best 0 balance transfer cards will have expiring introductory rates. Generally, 0 balance transfer offers expire after 6-12 months, depending upon the card.
Advisory HQ’s List of the Top 6 Best 0 Transfer Fee Credit Cards
List is sorted alphabetically (click any of the credit card names below to go directly to the detailed review section for that credit card):
- BankAmericard® Credit Card
- BB&T Bright® Card
- Citi Diamond Preferred® Card
- Citi® Double Cash Card
- Citi Simplicity® Card
- Wells Fargo Rewards® Card
Top 6 Best 0 Balance Transfer Offers | Brief Comparison
Credit Card Name
% or Low Intro APR Offer?
Intro % Duration
APR % (Min)
Apr % (Max)
|BankAmericard® Credit Card|
|BB&T Bright® Card||0%||15 months||8.40%||17.40%|
|Citi Diamond Preferred® Card||0%||21 months||12.24%||22.24%|
|Citi® Double Cash Card||0%||18 months||13.24%||23.24%|
|Citi Simplicity® Card||0%||21 months||13.24%||23.24%|
|Wells Fargo Rewards® Card||0%||15 months||12.40%||26.24%|
Table: Top 6 Best 0 Balance Transfer Credit Cards | Above list is sorted alphabetically
How Do 0 Balance Transfer Cards Affect Credit?
On their own, 0 transfer fee credit cards will not harm your overall credit score. Balance transfers aren’t transactions that get flagged on a credit report, and credit card companies aren’t necessarily interested in whether you have done a balance transfer.
Image Source: Pixabay
Still, there are ways that 0 balance transfer credit cards can impact credit score, depending upon how they are used. When considering 0 balance transfer credit card offers, keep in mind the following ways that these cards can factor into credit score:
- 0 transfer fee credit cards add to your credit utilization. Since you’re adding another account to your credit score, credit cards with 0 balance transfer will increase your credit utilization, which certainly does show up on credit reports.
- When used to avoid interest fees over long periods of time, 0 transfer fee credit cards may ultimately harm credit ratings. This applies only for those who consistently move balances from one card to the next. As with any line of credit, 0 balance transfer cards should not be used to promote irresponsible financial habits.
- 0 transfer fee credit cards are a new line of credit. As such, the act of applying for and receiving 0 balance transfer cards causes a temporary drop in credit score for about 3-6 months.
AdvisoryHQ’s Selection Methodology
What methodology does AdvisoryHQ use in selecting and finalizing the credit cards, financial products, firms, services, and products that are ranked on its various top rated lists?
Please click here “AdvisoryHQ’s Ranking Methodologies” for a detailed review of AdvisoryHQ’s selection methodologies for ranking top rated credit cards, financial accounts, firms, products, and services.
Detailed Review – Top Ranking Best 0 Balance Transfer Offers
Below, please find the detailed review of each card on our list of best 0 balance transfer credit cards. We have highlighted some of the factors that allowed these 0 transfer fee credit cards to score so high in our selection ranking.
BankAmericard® Credit Card Review
Those looking for the best 0 balance transfer credit card offers will be pleasantly surprised with the BankAmericard® credit card. With the lowest available interest rate among BankAmericard® products, Bank of America seeks to make balance transfers easy, affordable, and accessible.
When considering the best 0 balance transfer cards, there are two key components to consider: transfer terms and card benefits. These two factors helped the BankAmericard® credit card stand out amongst other 0 balance transfer credit cards.
Balance Transfer Rates & Terms for the BankAmericard® Credit Card
As a top ranking 0 interest balance transfer card, the BankAmericard® credit card comes with a specific set of rates and terms that may prove particularly helpful when knocking down credit card debt. Not only do these rates and terms make balance transfers much easier, but they also enhance the overall consumer experience.
- 0% APR for 18 billing cycles. As far as 0 balance transfer fee cards are concerned, this is one of the longer—and better—rate terms. This gives ample time to pay off transferred debt.
- 60-day grace period. Balance transfers fall underneath the introductory APR rate if they are conducted within roughly two months of opening the card.
- Variable APR between 11.24% and 21.24%. Once the introductory period is over, the 0 balance transfer fee is converted within this range.
Advantages of the BankAmericard® Credit Card
Aside from 0 balance transfer offers, the BankAmericard® also offers a range of benefits to provide great services for card holders.
A great feature of this 0 interest balance transfer card is that it offers smooth integration between accounts. Card holders who also have a Bank of America personal checking account and a credit card can easily link the two together, preventing overdrafts and declined purchases.
BB&T Bright® Card Review
As one of the best 0 transfer fee credit cards, the BB&T Bright® card has some of the most consumer-friendly components.
Part of what makes this credit card one of the best 0 balance transfer credit cards is that it uses a dual system of benefits to provide maximum value for card holders. Not only is it one of the best 0 balance transfer offers, but it also has one of the lowest interest rates that we have seen.
Balance Transfer Rates & Terms for the BB&T Bright® Card
BB&T strives to offer 0 transfer fee credit cards that promote a transfer process that is equal parts beneficial and simple. For consumers looking for 0 balance transfer cards that provide high benefits with low risk, the BB&T Bright® card is a great option. The following terms and rates apply for this 0 credit card balance transfer card:
- 0% APR for 15 months. This introductory rate not only applies to balance transfers but to any subsequent purchases made on the card as well.
- Low fees and penalties. Not only is there no annual fee for the card, but there is no penalty APR.
- Variable APR between 8.40% and 17.40%. This interest rate is simply one of the lowest available, not only for 0 balance transfer credit cards but for all credit cards.
Advantages of the BB&T Bright® Card
While the BB&T Bright® card does not come with a long list of supplemental benefits, those looking for 0 balance transfer credit cards will find that the rates and terms offer their own unique benefits.
First, what sets this product apart from other 0 balance transfer cards is that the 0% APR applies to both balance transfers and purchases. When looking for a card to save money and help knock down debt, this benefit is crucial.
Second, the benefit of a low APR range is certainly worth mentioning. Although the latest figures show an average of 16.28%, most credit cards aim higher. Few credit card companies allow their range to begin below 10 or 11%.
Citi Diamond Preferred® Card Review
When considering the Citi Diamond Preferred® card among other 0 balance transfer credit cards, rates and terms should be considered first and foremost.
Balance Transfer Rates & Terms for the Citi Diamond Preferred® Card
When considering the best 0 balance transfer cards, interest rates and terms are crucial. There are a few different interest rates and terms to consider when finding great 0 balance transfer offers. For the Citi Diamond Preferred® card, this includes:
- 0% APR for 21 months. Keeping interest rates as low as possible—and for as long as possible—is a key component in the best 0 percent balance transfer credit cards.
- Balance transfers can be completed within 4 months. Most 0 balance transfer offers keep eligible balance transfers to a tighter time schedule, but the Citi Diamond Preferred® card allows for more flexibility.
- Variable interest rates between 12.24% and 22.24%.
Advantages of the Citi Diamond Preferred® Card
Perhaps the most notable advantage of this 0 credit card balance transfer offer is that the introductory APR applies for balance transfers and purchases.
The best 0 balance transfer offers will take both into account and allow the 0% APR to apply across the board. Interest rates are crucial when choosing the right 0 balance transfer credit cards, and the Citi Diamond Preferred® card certainly fits the bill.
With an extended introductory rate, flexible time frame for balance transfers, and the inclusion of additional purchases, this is certainly one of the most consumer-friendly 0 percent balance transfer credit cards to consider.
Citi® Double Cash Reward Card Review
While looking for 0 balance transfer credit cards, it certainly doesn’t hurt to also look for cards that offer high rewards, too. It can be difficult to strike a balance between the two, but they combine effortlessly within the Citi® Double Cash Reward card.
Balance Transfer Rates & Terms for the Citi® Double Cash Reward Card
When viewing this credit card as an option for 0 percent balance transfer credit cards, there are a few key rates and terms to consider. These include:
- 0% APR for the first 18 months. Balance transfers are free from high interest rates for over a year, a key feature in 0 transfer fee credit cards.
- Interest exemption for purchases. As long as balances are paid by the due date, purchases will not incur interest.
- Variable APR between 13.24% and 23.24%.
Advantages of the Citi® Double Cash Reward Card
Although balance transfers do not earn cash back, the rewards system for the Citi® Double Cash Reward Card certainly merits recognition. This credit card allows for 1% cash back on purchases and payments.
The most beneficial 0 balance transfer cards will not only provide a 0 balance transfer fee, but they will also provide sustainability over the long term.
Citi Simplicity® Card Review
The Citi Simplicity® Card is advertised as the only card with no late fees, no penalty APR, and no annual fees. When considering credit cards, these are impressive qualities. When considering 0 balance transfer credit cards, this value increases.
As one of many 0 transfer fee credit cards, these benefits create additional value for the Citi Simplicity® Card, solidifying its spot among top ranked credit cards with 0 balance transfer fees.
Balance Transfer Rates & Terms for the Citi Simplicity® Card
Similar to the Citi Diamond Preferred® card, the Citi Simplicity® card comes with competitive rates and terms. For those looking for 0 balance transfer credit cards, these rates and terms will prove particularly useful. Interest rates and terms include:
- 0% APR for 21 months. Card holders can enjoy interest-free balance transfers for as long as possible, making this one of the best credit cards with a 0 balance transfer.
- Balance transfers can be completed within 4 months. Flexibility continues to be a common factor with0 balance transfer offers from Citigroup.
- Variable interest rates between 13.24% and 23.24%. Though slightly higher than previously reviewed 0 balance transfer credit card offers, the benefits outweigh the marginally increased interest.
Advantages of the Citi Simplicity® Card
As another one of Citigroup’s 0 balance transfer offers, the Citi Simplicity® Card offers enhanced flexibility and longer introductory terms for balance transfers.
The added advantage to this card, however, is the elimination of fees and penalties. This enhances long-term value, making managing a line of credit much easier and much more affordable.
Though the interest fee may be slightly higher, the reduction of fees makes the Citi Simplicity® Card into a truly simple and wholly worthwhile option for 0 balance transfer cards.
Wells Fargo Rewards Card® Review
Using 0 transfer fee credit cards from Wells Fargo can be a great way to start consolidating debt and gathering rewards along the way.
Compared to other 0 balance transfer credit cards, the Wells Fargo Rewards Card® strives to increase value and utility through competitive APR rates, introductory terms, and a flexible point system.
Balance Transfer Rates & Terms for the Wells Fargo Rewards Card®
Part of evaluating top ranked credit cards with 0 balance transfer fees is taking an in-depth look at the different rates and terms that come along with the card. Not only does this apply to introductory rates but to the rates that incur afterwards.
Rates and terms for the Wells Fargo Rewards Card® include:
- Subsequent APR of 12.40% to 26.24%. Comparatively, this is a wider APR bracket than other 0 balance transfer credit cards, but the rewards program is strong enough to offset the higher APR range.
Advantages to the Wells Fargo Rewards Card®
While the introductory 0 balance transfer offers from the Wells Fargo Rewards Card® may fall into a median range, the rewards program certainly does not.
For those who want their 0 balance transfer credit cards to become profitable in the future, this card is a great option. 5 rewards points are earned for every dollar spent in gas stations, groceries, and drugstores. 1 reward point is earned on all other purchases.
As one of the few 0 balance transfer cards that offers incentive for spending, this is a great option for those looking to be rewarded for responsible purchasing habits.
Conclusion – Top 6 0 Transfer Fee Credit Cards
To some extent, having a credit card is largely unavoidable. Credit cards allow card holders to establish, maintain, and improve personal credit ratings. Once credit card debt stacks up, 0 transfer fee credit cards offer affordable methods to keep debt manageable.
Image Source: Pixabay
0 balance transfer credit cards can be extremely valuable tools when managing credit card debt. Whether looking to consolidate debt to make payments easier or to avoid higher interest rates to make debt more affordable, having 0 transfer fee credit cards in your back pocket can certainly help.
Using our list of the 6 top-rated 0 balance transfer cards can offer guidance for those looking for the most beneficial and effective 0 balance transfer credit cards.
AdvisoryHQ (AHQ) Disclaimer:
Reasonable efforts have been made by AdvisoryHQ to present accurate information, however all info is presented without warranty. Review AdvisoryHQ’s Terms for details. Also review each firm’s site for the most updated data, rates and info.
Note: Firms and products, including the one(s) reviewed above, may be AdvisoryHQ's affiliates. Click to view AdvisoryHQ's advertiser disclosures.